Huffer Memorial Children’s Center began as a dream of Mrs. Ida Huffer in the early 1950’s. Ida Huffer was a teacher at West Longfellow Elementary School in Muncie, Indiana who had a heart for children. After her passing in 1957, her estate was set aside for an organization to provide quality child care for children in the Whitely community in Muncie, IN. A small group of community leaders pulled together and began plans for that child care center. On February 18, 1965, Huffer Memorial Children’s Center was incorporated and in 1966 received its official not-for-profit status.
In the early 1970’s, those same community leaders used the Huffer estate funds to purchase the land at 2000 N. Elgin street, where Huffer was built and still resides. In May 1972, Huffer Memorial Children’s Center opened its doors with 2 occupied classrooms and approximately 30 children. Now Huffer provides quality care for over 100 children ranging in ages from 6 weeks to 9 years old.